Syncplay is a free and open supply software to synchronize media gamers with distant pals to look at movies collectively, obtainable for Microsoft Home windows, macOS, Linux and *BSD. It helps mpv, VLC, MPC-BE and MPC-HC, with every person with the ability to use any of those media gamers.
The applying synchronizes the place and play state of the media participant over the Web, permitting all viewers to look at the identical video in the identical time. So when one viewer seeks, pauses or unpauses a video, that is utilized to all viewers / media gamers which are in the identical Syncplay room, on the identical server.
You possibly can select to use one of many free public Syncplay servers, or you may host your individual public or personal Syncplay server, be it on Home windows, macOS, Linux (together with Raspberry Pi).
Apart from this, Syncplay additionally options:
- Play native (with shared playlist) or on-line movies supported by youtube-dl (on my laptop this labored with mpv, however it did not work with VLC)
- The synchronized viewing is completed via a chat-like room so you may… chat with the opposite individuals, see their participant state, and so on. You can too chat with others via mpv (on prime of the mpv participant window)
- Can mechanically pause video in case a person is disconnected
- Consists of choices to cope with lagging, like fast-forwarding / rewinding or slowing down on desync
- Can present OSD messages on prime of the video participant with numerous occasions (e.g. customers which are / not prepared, and so on.)
It is necessary to notice that every one customers (viewers) will need to have the identical native video they wish to play. Syncplay does not stream movies between customers, it doesn’t synchronise participant configuration, audio/subtitle monitor choice or quantity.
How you can use Syncplay to look at movies in sync together with your distant pals
All of the viewers that wish to be a part of this synchronized playback should carry out the steps beneath.
What you may want:
- Syncplay. On Linux it is obtainable as an AppImage (to run it you may must proper click on the .AppImage, click on Properties, go to the Permissions tab and allow Permit executing file as program; this is determined by the file supervisor you are utilizing, however it needs to be considerably related generally) or snap from the Snap Retailer
- mpv, VLC, MPC-BE or MPC-HC (the Syncplay web site says mpv has the perfect compatibility with Syncplay). For VLC, Syncplay ought to mechanically set up a LUA script (syncplay.lua); in case this doesn’t occur you may want to put in it your self (get it from right here)
- elective: youtube-dl to have the ability to play on-line movies supported by it when utilizing mpv (on Home windows you may place the downloaded youtube-dl.exe subsequent to mpv.exe, and mpv will decide it up mechanically)
In my testing I’ve used mpv with a public Syncplay server, and the directions beneath assume that you simply’re utilizing the identical. If you wish to run your individual server, see this information.
It is value noting that on Home windows, Syncplay server is obtainable within the downloaded binary however it’s not on Linux, so on the latter you may must clone the Syncplay GitHub repository which comprises syncplayServer.py.
With these necessities glad, that is how one can use Syncplay to look at movies in sync together with your distant pals.
1. Configuring Syncplay
When beginning Syncplay you may discover it asks for a server handle, username, default room, and so on. That is what it’s essential to set:
- Server handle: all customers/viewers should choose the identical server from the general public server record, e.g. syncplay.pl:8997. The Syncplay web site recommends avoiding the general public servers working on ports 8995 and 8999 as a result of they lag, because of the majority of individuals utilizing them
- Server password (if any): do not enter any password right here since that is just for personal servers
- Username: use any username you need (totally different for every viewer)
- Default room: enter the identical room identify on each laptop on which you wish to sync the playback. The playback will solely be synchronized with others on this room on the identical server. Room names are case-sensitive. Since public servers haven’t got a password, I might say to make use of a sophisticated room identify (as a password substitute) so uninvited friends cannot guess your room identify and hijack it
- Path to media participant: Syncplay guessed the trail to the media participant in my case, however it case it does not for you, enter the trail to mpv, VLC or no matter media participant every viewer desires to make use of
2. Run/join Syncplay
Within the Syncplay window you may see a big button saying Click on Retailer configuration and run Syncplay – click on it. This opens the configured media participant (e.g. mpv) and joins the room you’ve got entered within the Syncplay settings:
3. Enjoying the identical synchronized video for all viewers
|Left: Ubuntu 20.04 working in VirtualBox with Syncplay / Proper: my precise Linux desktop with Syncplay; each are enjoying the identical, synchronized video|
Enjoying a video now is so simple as dragging and dropping the video on prime of the media participant window (you might also open a video or hyperlink from the Syncplay File menu). Every viewer should do that. The file does not need to be the identical in case of drag’n’drop (it is totally different when utilizing the shared playlist – see additional down beneath), however its length needs to be the identical.
In the identical method you too can drag and drop a YouTube hyperlink from an online browser to the media participant window to play it in sync with all of the viewers (all viewers should do that, utilizing the identical hyperlink).
It is value noting that the area from the place you drag and drop the hyperlink have to be whitelisted in Syncplay, and solely youtube.com (and youtu.be) is whitelisted by default. Add any domains you wish to the Trusted domains record within the Syncplay settings (when Syncplay is just not linked: allow Present extra settings on the backside of the Syncplay window, then click on on Sync within the sidebar and you will see an inventory of trusted domains that you may edit; when Syncplay is linked: from its Superior menu -> Set trusted domains).
As soon as everyone has the video able to play, press SPACE to mark your self as being prepared and begin enjoying the video. Or click on the I am prepared to look at checkbox on the backside of the Syncplay window, and when everybody is prepared, focus the media participant window and begin enjoying utilizing SPACE.
Each time a viewer pauses, unpauses, or skips, this motion is utilized to all viewers / media gamers linked to the identical room on the identical server.
One other option to play movies is to tug and drop them to the shared playlist within the Syncplay window. However earlier than doing this, it’s essential to add the folders containing the media information you wish to play: proper click on contained in the shared playlist, choose Set Media Directories, and select the folder containing the movies you wish to play (do not add a listing with numerous information as Syncplay might have points scanning it). Every viewer should do that. Subsequent, drag and drop a video file from this folder within the Syncplay shared playlist – the identical file have to be current for all viewers within the added media listing, and have the very same filename (not like when dragging and dropping a video on prime of the media participant window).
If the filename is proven in crimson coloration within the shared playlist, it means the file was not discovered on all of the computer systems linked to this room. When the file is discovered on all computer systems, its coloration turns black. Choose it in Syncplay, focus the media participant and press SPACE to mark your self as prepared and play it.
Need to chat with the opposite viewers on prime of the mpv video participant window? Press Enter, kind your message, then press Enter once more to ship the message. The place, font, coloration, and so on., might be configured from the Synplay settings (allow Present extra settings to entry this).
h/t teruakohatu on HN
syncplay server,syncplay download,syncplay client,vlc syncplay interface,syncplay dark mode,syncplay mpv,syncplay exe,https syncplay pl download