Foliate is a free and open supply GTK eBook reader for Linux, constructed with GJS and Epub.js. It helps .epub, .mobi, .azw, and .azw3 recordsdata that may be learn in a number of layouts, together with two-page and scrolled view. On high of that, the applying options:
- Customizable font face and measurement, line-spacing, margins, full justification, auto-hypenation, zoom and brightness
- Studying progress slider with chapter marks
- Bookmarks and annotations
- Fast dictionary lookup with Wiktionary, Wikipedia, and dictd, or translate textual content with Google Translate
- 10 built-in themes together with gentle and darkish, sepia, Solarized and Gruvbox Mild and Darkish, in addition to assist for customized themes
- Discover in e book
- Keyboard shortcuts and touchpad gestures
- Primary text-to-speech assist with eSpeak NG and Competition
Apart from these vital to have options for an eBook viewer, the applying additionally has numerous minor options that many will discover helpful, like viewing an eBook’s metadata, keep in mind the place you left off, fullscreen mode, and extra.
The most recent Foliate eBook reader 2.Zero comes a plethora of modifications, particularly to its consumer interface.
For this launch, the applying interface was redesigned to work higher on smaller screens, together with on telephones.
|Foliate 2.Zero works on any display measurement (together with its Preferences window); when the sidebar is disabled in its Preferences, the headerbar is hidden and proven as an overlay on mouse-over|
Additionally, till this launch, this Linux eBook reader solely supported a “primary” fullscreen mode – that is since you could not entry the header bar whereas on this mode, however with Foliate 2.0, the headerbar and progress bar now auto-hide whereas in fullscreen, permitting for a distraction-free studying expertise. Whenever you disable the sidebar from its preferences (you do not simply conceal it from the header bar, that is not sufficient), the headerbar is hidden by default and proven as an overlay on mouse-over, even when not in fullscreen mode; as a facet notice, this doesn’t work for those who allow the Lifelike Shadows choice.
One other interface-related change on this launch is the addition of E-reader type navigation: go to the earlier or subsequent web page by tapping on the left or proper a part of the view; faucet on the center to toggle header bar and progress bar.
|Foliate 2.Zero Linux eBook reader utilizing a standard titlebar and menubar|
For individuals who want a standard titlebar and menubar, Foliate 2.Zero comes with a brand new experimental choice for that. The choice will be discovered within the software preferences, and requires restarting Foliate to make use of it. The normal manubar can also be robotically displayed relying on the used desktop setting.
|New location popover|
Extra interface-related modifications in Foliate 2.0:
- Varied location info, in addition to a clock, can now be displayed within the footer
- A brand new location popover (Ctrl + L) that exhibits studying time estimates and permits skipping to areas
- Annotations, bookmarks, and discover outcomes now present chapter titles
- When trying up phrases in dictionaries, the question can now be edited
- New shortcuts for viewing metadata (Ctrl + I) and preferences (Ctrl + ,)
Foliate 2.Zero additionally comes with some eBook studying modifications. Most significantly, a steady scrolling format (Menu button -> Superior -> Steady). In keeping with the epub.js documentation, on this mode the applying shows “as many sections as must fill the display, and preload the subsequent part offscreen. This permits seamless swiping / scrolling between pages on cell and desktop, however is much less performant than the default methodology.” (right here the default methodology being to solely show a single part at a time).
|New choice to make use of ornamental (lifelike) shadows that mimic the looks of an actual e book|
Different studying enhancements on this launch:
- Possibility to point out ornamental shadows that mimic the looks of an actual e book (Menu button -> Superior -> Lifelike Shadows)
- Capacity to zoom in and zoom out
- Improved picture viewer with “save as” choice
- Open copies of a e book in new home windows (Ctrl + N)
- Reload e book (Ctrl + R)
- New built-in themes: Grey, Solarized, Gruvbox, Nord
I wasn’t kidding after I mentioned this can be a main launch. There are much more modifications in Foliate 2.0:
- Capacity to pick textual content throughout pages
- Discover chosen textual content in e book
- Converse chosen textual content or from the chosen location
- Spellcheck notes (requires new non-compulsory dependency gspell)
- Export annotations to Markdown
- Choices to make use of customized colours for highlights
- WebKit’s developer instruments can now be enabled
- The settings schemas has been reorganized
- The format for customized themes has modified
- Places at the moment are 1024 characters in measurement
- Bug fixes
The most recent Foliate 2.Zero will be put in from FlatHub and the Snap Retailer. Whereas the applying is out there within the repositories for fairly a couple of Linux distributions, it hasn’t but been up to date to the newest model normally. You might also construct Foliate from supply.
There’s additionally a Foliate 2.Zero DEB package deal accessible for obtain on the applying GitHub releases web page, that ought to work on Debian, Ubuntu, and Linux distributions based mostly on these, like Linux Mint, Pop!_OS, Elementary OS, Zorin OS, and so forth. I solely examined it on Ubuntu 20.04 although (and I did not run into any points).
easy ebook viewer,foliate ubuntu,foliate for windows,foliate books,foliate text-to-speech,modern epub reader,foliate deb,folate linux